Hat Mala

I found myself trapped in a holding pattern for a time at the University of Toledo Student Activities Committee meeting today. As the Faculty advisor of the newly formed UT Zen Buddhist Fellowship I was there in a show of support for the groups request to fund an opening event and have our constitution approved, both of which thankfully happened due to two bodhisattvhas - one student member who took time from their busy schedule to meet with the committee and answer questions, and another on the committee who volunteered to stay late and review our constitution. Between the presentation and deliberations for the funding of the event and the consideration of the constitution there was a good hour plus hanging out there waiting while other matters were tended to, and during this time, I found myself using the brim of my hat as a kind of improvised and discreet Mala and used it as I practiced Metta for everyone:

May these beings be
free from animosity,
free from oppression,
free from trouble,
and may they look after
themselves with ease!
—Cunda Kammaraputta Sutta


I often find that Meta is an interesting practice to cool the heat when irritation begins to well up while waiting in line, in meetings, or when cornered into someplace I'd just rather not be, and using the hat brim felt kinda like being some kind of an undercover 007 Bodhisattvha. All of which certainly beats just sitting there squirming and sighing, but is not to say that I didn't do my share of squirming as well...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Impromptu on One of the Buddhas Five Rememberances

Haiku For You?

A Short Meditation on Pets and Reincarnation